Husband has been doing most of the grocery shopping solo lately while I’ve been wrapping up school projects and preparing for finals. He shops and I sort while praising him for his efforts. I occasionally find a few surprises while emptying the bags and this week was no exception. Apparently, Husband was in a gnocchi mood, so ever since, the box has been sitting in the cupboard staring me down and challenging me to come up with a new recipe.
Luckily, Pinterest is always there to help. I have found that scrolling through the colorful links has become a soothing and entertaining activity that helps me get through boring classes. Thankfully, gnocchi recipes are not hard to come by and since Husband also has a habit of filling our fridge with cheese, I decided Mac and Cheese was the best way to go.
I modified this recipe from Fox Valley Foodie to fit my ingredients and to serve 2. I couldn’t remember if I had ever made a cheese sauce before, so this was definitely a good one to start with. Easy, breezy, and fast to make, especially with Husband serving as my gnocchi cooking/bacon frying assistant. Here’s what you do:
- Bring water to boil in medium pot and cook 1 pound gnocchi (I used DeLallo) batches, removing them after they float.
- While the gnocchi is cooking, melt 2 Tablespoons butter in medium saucepan. Slowly add 2 Tablespoons flour until smooth.
- Gradually add 1 cup milk to saucepan. Stir well.
- Add 2/3 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Provolone cheese, and 1/8 cup Parmesan Cheese to saucepan in slow batches until all is melted. Add salt/pepper, if needed.
- Add cooked gnocchi to cheese sauce, along with 1 pound cooked, crumbled bacon and 1/4 cup chopped scallions. Mix. Serve. Enjoy. Savor. (The original recipe noted that this does not keep well overnight, but I didn’t have a chance to learn this for myself because Husband licked the bowl clean)
This was definitely not one of my healthiest recipes, so I paired it with a strawberry spinach salad so I felt at least a tiny bit healthy. And there you go! Tasting Tuesday, indeed!