It’s that time of year again: THE ACADEMY AWARDS!! Husband and I have always enjoyed awards ceremonies since we make bets on the winners and soak up all the drama. Every year, I think to myself, “This ceremony is really taking a long time…maybe I should go to bed.” But I stay up anyway and then boom! A surprise! The last two years have been a real adventure, so we’ll see if Sunday night continues the tradition. I do have to be up early Monday morning to catch a flight, so maybe I’ll convince myself to turn the TV off and go to bed…or not.
Either way, I like to review my own favorite movies from throughout the year, even if they didn’t get nominated for any awards. Husband and I both enjoy going to the movies and have a pretty good system of taking turns with making the selection (My choices are always better, of course). I love all Oscar-bait films, but also usually sit through a couple non-prestigious ones, as well. Just like last year, I’m sharing my Top #5 movies of 2017. Let me know what you think!
- The Big Sick. So sweet, so adorable, so full of millennial emotions. There were some tough contenders in 2017, but I’m pretty sure this was my favorite movie of the year. I laughed and teared up and really rooted for this adorable couple to make it work.
- The Lost City of Z. I love explorers, so any movie about explorers is going to make me happy. This movie was also stylish and thought-provoking about what makes life meaningful. My sister still has no idea why I liked it so much, but it was a spring release that stuck with me through the fall.
- The Greatest Showman. I don’t think there has been a day since first seeing this movie on 12/21 that I have gone without listening and singing to at least SOME part of the movie soundtrack. I loved the entire thing from start to finish and returned to see it three times! Usually, I’m a stickler for good critic reviews, but I totally thought the critics missed the charm on this one and cannot wait until it’s available for streaming so I can watch it every.single.day.
- The Shape of Water. SUCH A ROLLER COASTER OF EMOTIONS! I was drawn in by the beauty and the artistic quality and then pulled in even more through the acting and storytelling. I felt more invested in this movie than any others from the rest of the year and am hoping it wins all the awards for its creativity and pure lusciousness.
- Beauty and the Beast. I know, I know: I have a weakness for musicals, which is why two of my favorites this year involved both singing and dancing, but there were such GOOD musicals this year! Sometimes it’s just nice to be swept away into a magic land and dream of fairy tales, especially when there is so much craziness going on outside the movie theater. I also think this movie was totally cheated in the Best Song category with the addition of new music.
Well, that’s all! Did you see any of my favorites this year? What was your favorite movie of the year? What movie do you think will win Best Picture? I’d love to hear your feedback as I prep all my snacks for Sunday’s viewing party.