Anyone else like beans? Beans are the best, no matter what Husband tries to tell me. But sometimes I don’t feel like turning on my oven to cook baked beans and I definitely don’t feel like having warm beans seep into all the rest of my plated food items (foods are not supposed to touch!) So, the answer to this? A cold bean salad! How have I not thought of this before!?
I found this great recipe from My Kitchen Craze and made it for a recent church gathering. It was a flavorful hit and one that I will definitely put on repeat as it was such as easy accompaniment to the rest of my summer menu. It’s also vegetarian and vegan AND you can even make it the day ahead! A win win! Enjoy!
Here’s what you need:
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (16 ounces) red beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) lima beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (2 1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chili sauce (I used the Sriracha brand, Huy Fong Foods, from the International section at Kroger)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
And here’s what you do:
- Using a large bowl, add the first nine ingredients.
- Using a glass measuring cup or small bowl, add the chili sauce, oil, vinegar, garlic, oregano and pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Pour liquid mixture over bean mixture. Toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Top with sliced green onions, if desired.
Hope you enjoy it as much as my guests and I did!