I’m excited to add to my list of Indy tried-and-true favorites while also trying to avoid completing summer finals homework. Boo to school, but yes to lunch! My mom comes to visit me about once a month and we have a fabulous time bopping around and eating our way through the city. Not every local restaurant is slam dunk, so I place extra care into my recommendations so she always thinks Indianapolis has the best food (and of course, we do).
Here where you need to go:
- Petite Chou Bistro. And really, you only need to know Petit Chou because it’s a one-stop Broad Ripple shop for all that is wonderful and delicious and pretty and nice. I love the frites and the omelets and the chocolate pots de creme and really everything. This is an Indy staple and really sets the standard for what a good “Mom Lunch” should look like, which is why I keep this one on repeat. And repeat. But if you just went there yesterday and want to try something else today, I supposed I can share a few more options like…
- Fire by the Monon. This is also a Broad Ripple delight, set in an old house complete with creaky floors. They offer casual American classics like yummy fries, a seasonal salmon soup, and other delicious sandwiches, pastas, and delights. I like the outdoor seating and the lack of a long wait.
- Tea’s Me Cafe. Incredible fresh-brewed apricot iced-tea in the Herron-Morton neighborhood. That’s what you need to know. They have mastered the art of the ice-to-tea ratio and their gingersnap cookies are also pretty fabulous. Sandwiches and salads are simple, but who needs food when you can have delicious pots of tea? And! They offer a student discount! Pretty fabulous, if you ask me.
- Canal Bistro. We’re back to Broad Ripple with my favorite Greek lunch options, such as the salmon sandwich or chicken kabob. Garlic feta fries are a must and they offer a delicious iced tea and patio seating. I love the atmosphere, which feels fancy without being expensive. I’m getting hungry now…
- Locally Grown Gardens. You really just need to go here for the fresh-baked pie and Instagram worthy-seating arrangements at this SoBro favorite, but they also offer fresh grilled salmon (there seems to be a salmon theme on this list…), delicious salads, and my favorite cheese and tomato plate. This place offers simple, good, and clean cooking with the whole “We’re on a picnic, but I didn’t have to pack anything” outdoor vibe. You can also pick up some seasonal fruits and veggies at the farm stand while you enjoy your outing.
Now you know my favorites! And my mom is visiting me next week, so I’m sure we’ll be back at one of these. Where do you like to take your mom for lunch?